beware of what is lurking in the shadows, for it is as deadly as it may seem..

beware of what is lurking in the shadows, for it is as deadly as it may seem..
the unfinished discourse

Sunday, August 01, 2010

WE CAN MAKE IT THROUGH THE RAIN!

whew one day off today, and to think that I have been telling myself to blog for the past few weeks. Well, ord can't get anymore closer, though i would seriously start counting down once YOG is over. Yes I know that day is reaching, but not when the thought that there are still 3-4 ops yet to complete and several competitions to partake in, all of which will see their end in children's day.

Several highlights for last week:

Timor Barat run: This run saw me running 16km for the first time and I felt a rather moderate sense of accomplishment only though half-guessing that I would make it into the AHM team for Signals formation, which some do not pin their hopes on for the actual competition. It was a bit stunning to hear that I made it behind LTA Jason by only a minute and that he was the first signaller representative to reach the finishing line. I actually thought that I was somewhere in the middle or something but reckon that I was totally oblivious of my own pace. I realise that running, or most actions for that matter, has got to do with relativity. One does not feel that one is fast per se but can only mention that the rest are slower. Well, just to continue about the TB run, it took place rather early, early enough for most of the participants to finish their run before the sky caved in and droplets start to pelt on irked participants. Though sensing a bit of improvement, I realised the importance of not over-exerting at any point of time, hence leaving myself dubious as to how exactly I should exert during any point of the run. Questions kept pounding in my head: Should I overtake the person who's just overtaken me? Should I maintain my pace? How often should I stop to get a drink? Should I just wear contacts all the way? Many things are getting in my way during the run, not the obstacles like the sand, planks, bridge, uneven ground, roads, grass patches, concrete but the profuse sweating, the unnecessary mental stress which I thought could aid in removing boredom during runs. I guess boredom in running doesn't exist and shouldn't exist. To feel bored means to having nothing to focus on while doing something. Is running such a brainless chore? Some people proclaim that running is such a mindless occupation as one does nothing but double quick time. I would beg to differ. It entails being aware of the surroundings, admiring the scenery (strictly for the case of this run), pacing oneself and keeping one at rhythm and stability of all sorts. Fatigue during the run is inevitable but not when one has more or less acquired the consistency from the very start of the race. Endurance run is all about getting your body used to the stress and power needed to finish the race in a satisfactory timing. After all, this race, lying in precedence to AHM, is a healthy lifestyle run and it means taking it seriously, especially for competitors. I have accumulated 2 most crucial tips at the end of the day, that is making rest stops (very short ones though) about every 7km (for my case) and proper pacing from the start till the end. As usual, near the end point, there was the sprinting component between me and a guy from engineers which saw us giving our last outbursts of adrenaline power as though all hell had broken lose. After the run, there was the rejuvenation part, both in the sense that one can finally rest after the hard work put into and of course, the cold inviting winds to blow off incessant heat from one's body. Met some old friends from BMT, secondary school etc too. We chatted, drank ice milo, red bull and hundred plus which was definitely inviting and rested for some time before we left Seletar camp. It was definitely a run most worth running for as one got to experience different terrain, hence infusing practicality.

Commanders recce (immediately after the run) and ndp preview:

Well, these events happened back to back. After the TB run MS and I wanted to take a cab to our individual locations but could only alight after the Expressway. It was goddam crazy as we were wearing our PT attire and the wind was strong as alike the rain. Booking a cab proved futile and we were sort of stranded at a bus stop for some time before we actually took a bus down some stops where civilisation proved more conspicuous. It was only after 50 min when we could finally booked a cab (we couldn't flagged one down) and get to our places. Had lunch with the commanders at KK hospital before making our way to different cam sites, all sited across different places near or at NUS. This was in light of the ND rally taking place days after the actual parade. Fortunately to my glee, our cam site was rather peaceful, easy to locate and convenient. Nights out ensued after the recce was over. As for ndp preview, there was a slew of problems for our camsite: managerial and logistics errors, all of which I shall not discuss due to confidentiality. Hopefully for subsequent deployments, such mistakes would be staved off.


Weekends + off:

Well it was not much, went out with secondary school buddies to AMK hub NYNY for dinner before catching the movie 'Aftershock' that depicted the hardship and ordeal undertaken during the 1970s-1990s period by Tangshan earthquake casualties through the perspective of a family severely affected by it. The film proved emotionally heart-felt that left a few in tears and the rest pondering over whether such an incident did really claim about a quarter of a million lives back then. I felt that this movie., compared to those being screened in cinemas currently, was rather thought-invoking though it may be simple to understand. Not saying that other movies were not that good, but this movie was based from a real life story and it being one of china's most successful blockbuster film, really goes out to many people in the world, thus allowing us to compare our better off lives to those under-privileged in China. I would give this movie a 4 stars on the whole. Ha thank god Edmund insisted on not watching 'the sorcerer's apprentice' but this movie instead!! Haiz book in later. The busy weeks are soon to come!! 2 more months! By the way I have changed the blog song to this song, sung by someone whom I have idolised and will continue to idolise. It is so inspirational as well as stunning in terms of vocal quality and control. Enjoy!

No comments: